Order of the Arrow
Learning for Life
Guadalupe Chili Pie
On a monthly basis, we'll try to present recipes that are “doable” on Scout campouts. With supervision from adult leaders, the Scouts will gain confidence, have some fun cooking and may even end up with some great tasting meals!
Adult leaders: Please exercise proper supervision during Scout food/fire preparation, i.e., safe food storage, hygiene, secure cooking area, heavy-duty gloves, water buckets, waste disposal, etc.
(Serves 8; Cooking time: about an hour in 10” or 12” Dutch oven)
Here's a great meal, long-favored by well-seasoned Scouters. With fall and cooler weather approaching, a good chili can be a welcome warmer-upper after a fun day of camping. This is a one-pot meal complete with a cornbread topping that can be varied (kicked up a notch) according to your own tastes or tolerances!!
Chili Shopping List: . 2 lbs. lean ground beef .1 med. chopped onion . 1 med. chopped green pepper . 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes . 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans . 1 cup water . 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce . 1 can (15 oz.) corn kernels, drained . 1 pkg. chili mix
Optional, but recommended items: 1 – 3 chopped jalapeno peppers, oregano, garlic powder, cumin and chili powder. BAM!
Cornbread Shopping List: . 2 pkgs. (6 oz.) cornbread muffin mix, plus eggs and milk per pkg. directions. . 1-2 cups, shredded cheese, i.e. sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack or Colby.
1. Light about 25 charcoal briquettes. When ready, pre-heat Dutch Oven with 17 coals on top, 8 underneath.
2. In uncovered oven, brown beef, sauté onions and green pepper. Drain grease, if necessary.
3. Add and mix beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili mix, corn and desired options.
4. With cover on, cook 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Taste and “kick it up a notch” if needed)
5. While chili is simmering, mix cornbread per directions in a bowl. Batter should be smooth. Add more milk, if necessary, and pour batter over chili evenly.
6. Re-cover oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until cornbread is done.
7. Sprinkle your choice of cheese on cornbread during last few minutes of baking. Heat until cheese is melted.
8. Serve immediately. A tossed salad goes well as a side dish.
Note: To save time on camp out, the chili can be prepared at home, 1-2 days before campout. Store in sealable bag, refrigerate and then store in chilled cooler at camp out. Heat up in Dutch Oven and bake the cornbread as above.
DrumBeat welcomes your comments, suggestions and your own favorite recipe to share. Just email your thoughts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately, no unit sent anything in about new
camping/outing ideas/locations for all units to share.
Help us fill the blank space. Send your
"Kool Outing" story new to:
Marty Schultz, Editor, DrumBeat: email@example.com
Oct. 21 for the next Drumbeat issue.